POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) : Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux)
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Sep 2009 13:45:55
Message: <4abd01d3$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Hmm. Example - Both Corel PSP X and X2 store things as:
>> c:\Documents and Settings\<user>\...
>
> The point was that they don't store the base location of your home
> directory, but rather paths built from that base location.

Yes, well. Not everyone got the point. lol

>> other than manually editing all the critical locations in the system
>
> That's what search and replace is for?
>
> Or, make your OS partition bigger?

Uh, regedit doesn't allow "replace", well, unless you do something
insane, like exporting the entire tree, doing a search and replace on
the plain text, then import again.

As for making the OS partition bigger.. Kind of problematic in my case,
its like:

20% OS
40% data
40% Fedora - using a virtual file system, which *normal* partition
managers can't even work with, remove, etc.

I would have to wipe the Fedora, reset the MBR to boot to windows
properly, move the data partition up on the drive, and optionally make
it a hair bigger too, *then* expand the C drive. :p I can live with
cleaning the thing up and getting rid of about 4G of junk that
accumulated, like multiple JRE updates that the installers leave, "just
in case something needs the older JRE."

>> If you think about it, its a damn stupid way to handle applications,
>> which are basically tools, and *may* need to be moved around once in a
>> while too, even if to just save space on the work bench.
>
> It's a cost vs benefit kind of thing. The number of sales they lose due
> to people with a too-small system disk and a second disk that's big
> enough added later is probably smaller than the cost of writing,
> testing, and supporting that functionality.
>
> Why not just move the executable and leave the data behind?

Because the data is what is taking up 99% of the space, and not sure
that would fix everything. Moving 500MB of program won't do you a bit of
good if the data is 2-3GB. :p

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {