POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) : Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux)
From: scott
Date: 24 Sep 2009 03:13:46
Message: <4abb1c2a$1@news.povray.org>
> 1. Install.
> 2. First start up - ask OS where 'My Documents', or local equivalent is.
> 3. Create folders for here for the documents, then store this location.
> 4. I change the location in OS (And.. you would think if you had this
> option they would include an "move related documents to new location",
> option...).
> 5. Program breaks, since its *looking* for what was created in #3, rather
> than asking the OS if the path to 'My Documents' is the *same* as it was
> when it installed originally.

One has to wonder, that if the programmer went to the effort to find out
where My Documents is, why they only did it once and then had to store the
path somewhere!  That's even worse than not bothering to do it at all (from
a coding point of view).

> Oh, and just to be clear, who the frack wants Vista? lol

I do, it means my 3D CAD application only takes 5 seconds to open rather
than >1 minute under XP.  SuperFetch FTW!