POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) : Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux)
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Sep 2009 17:00:47
Message: <4abbddff$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> scott wrote:
>> One has to wonder, that if the programmer went to the effort to find
>> out where My Documents is, why they only did it once and then had to
>> store the path somewhere!
>
> No, they'd store something like
> "\Docs and settings\george\My Documents\Pov Ray Scenes"
> instead of constructing it each time.

Hmm. Example - Both Corel PSP X and X2 store things as:

c:\Documents and Settings\<user>\...

Unless its checking, once it starts up, and correcting the links...

You know, I really wish some applications like this supported a "move
install" function. I wouldn't mind freeing up the 400M from C, which I
stupidly made too small of the OS, by dragging PSP X off there, but
other than manually editing all the critical locations in the system
registry, which is to say, all 90 of them (one for each brush path,
displacement map path, script path, path paths, path to path paths)..
o.O And, reinstalling looses you any settings you had, which just makes
things even more damn fun. Sigh...

Seriously. I wouldn't mind in the least if people treated applications
like.. real world tools, and doing the equivalent of moving them out of
the garage didn't cause your electric drill didn't stop working the
moment you had it in the living room. If you think about it, its a damn
stupid way to handle applications, which are basically tools, and *may*
need to be moved around once in a while too, even if to just save space
on the work bench.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {