POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Portal Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:16:05 EDT (-0400)
  Portal (Message 41 to 44 of 44)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Portal
Date: 26 Sep 2009 07:15:44
Message: <4abdf7e0$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> I can't remember the last time I watched the credits for a video game.
> That song is great!
>
> Overall, it was a really fun game.  The puzzles weren't as hard (or
> annoying) as the flash version (though I haven't tried the bonus levels,
> yet), and the length felt right (not too long, not too short).

I reinstalled Portal yesterday, and played it last night. I started
playing at 8, completed the game at 11. I wasn't particularly *trying*
to finish it fast; I guess it's just because I know the solution to most
of the puzzles. (Chamber #10 is stupidly hard though...) The first time
I played the game, it took a lot longer. (Like, 6 days or something.)

I do like how it challenges the norms of usual gameplay. Grill fence?
Can't go that wa- oh, wait, I can shoot portals through that, can't I?
Inaccessible ledge? Not when you have a friggin' portal gun! Oh no,
another puzzle where you have to run between the bits of machinery
without dying... or just use a portal!

I think I could have preferred a longer game with a less vertical
difficulty gradient, but hey, maybe in Portal 2?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> just because I know the solution to most
> of the puzzles.

I guess that makes it kind of like an adventure game, too. Lots of adventure
games you can finish in almost no time if you know the solution. You can
finish Myst in about 20 steps if you already played it once. :-)

I like those kinds of games. I'll have to try this one.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)