POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What do you think? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:12:24 EDT (-0400)
  What do you think? (Message 11 to 20 of 87)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: What do you think?
Date: 13 Aug 2009 14:01:20
Message: <4a8454f0$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:58:39 -0600, somebody wrote:

> IMO, the sooner we accept that religion is neither dirty nor sacred, the
> better of we will be

I agree *as long as* this applies to all religions, and not just one
"special" group of religions.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 13 Aug 2009 14:59:38
Message: <4a84629a$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> Actually, I think the school was in the wrong here.  The students who he
> was distributing to have every right to say "no thank you".

I don't think so. School is not the appropriate forum to proselytize. If
you want to give out messages, that's fine, leave them in a public area.
Don't pass it to each individual. Not everyone will appreciate it. If it
were me, I would have taken the candy and chucked the card in the bin
without so much as looking at it...

> But I think the parents of the kid who caused the whole thing probably
> would have a problem with an atheist distributing information.  *That's*
> where the problem usually starts.

Right...

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

>> Actually, I think the school was in the wrong here.  The students who he
>> was distributing to have every right to say "no thank you".
>>

> I don't think so. School is not the appropriate forum to proselytize. If
> you want to give out messages, that's fine, leave them in a public area.
> Don't pass it to each individual. Not everyone will appreciate it. If it
> were me, I would have taken the candy and chucked the card in the bin
> without so much as looking at it...

I bet you are not a kid.

In my school, I would not allow an adult to pass any flyers. But a kid
can. Even if a kid from another school. I'm a believer in the idea
that you learn to program by programing. You learn to live in society,
by living in it. But you don't learn to play chess by always losing;
that is, by always playing against someone a lot more malicious than
you are; that's why I don't like the idea of adults playing society
with kids.

Done.

Now I want to question the framework of the discussion. Why is a (six
year old?) kid interested in Jesus? Suppose you find an answer here by
talking to his family. Then you go ``aha.'' And that is why I don't
allow adults doing propaganda in my school. Home is just another
school; only more important.

>> But I think the parents of the kid who caused the whole thing probably
>> would have a problem with an atheist distributing information.  *That's*
>> where the problem usually starts.
>
> Right...

Right. And chances are the problem has nothing to do with religion.

Post a reply to this message