POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What do you think? : Re: What do you think? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:25:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do you think?
From: andrel
Date: 13 Aug 2009 15:29:49
Message: <4A8469AD.2010706@hotmail.com>
On 13-8-2009 18:33, Mike Raiford wrote:
> I'm of the opinion that attempts to "convert" someone to your religion
> does not fall under protected speech, and further, it infringes on
> others rights of freedom of religion.
>
> http://www.the33tv.com/news/kdaf-aaron1-wed-candy-cane-trial-story,0,3441616.story
>
> http://www.ccnews.org/index.php?mod=Story&action=show&id=1580&countryid=0&stateid=0

What I am missing in the info is what the message was and why the school
noticed. The fact that they did notice suggests that it was very
obvious, probably so much so that it was very likely that the parents
were using the children for their own evangelical purpose.
If that was the case I think the school was right in protecting these
children (and the others) from their parents.*

Free speech is only an issue if it was a public school. IANAL but I
assume that, just as here, such rules are only between a person and a
government not between individuals.

It would be also interesting to know if these parents would allow
teachers to tell the kids that they have homosexual relationships.

I think in the Dutch context (which is very different that the US's) I
would not have a problem with children expressing their believe as long
as it does not interfere with the teaching.

*I probably did not mean that.