POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What do you think? : Re: What do you think? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:26:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do you think?
From: somebody
Date: 13 Aug 2009 16:02:06
Message: <4a84713e@news.povray.org>
"Mike Raiford" <"m[raiford]!at"@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:4a84629a$1@news.povray.org...
> Jim Henderson wrote:
>

>> Actually, I think the school was in the wrong here.  The students who he
>> was distributing to have every right to say "no thank you".
>>

> I don't think so. School is not the appropriate forum to proselytize. If
> you want to give out messages, that's fine, leave them in a public area.
> Don't pass it to each individual. Not everyone will appreciate it.

Neither do I appreciate Chinese restaurant ads on my windshield, but I'm not
about to make a federal case for it. I think facing opposing viewpoints and
ideas or even behaviour that one does not necessarily appreciate is one way
for individuals and society to mature. I find that sheltered societies (such
as North America) remain more naive.

> If it were me, I would have taken the candy and chucked the card in the
> bin without so much as looking at it...

That's a form of expression, and a healthier one at that than censoring
interaction on these "taboo" matters altogether. Of couse schools don't wish
to become grounds for any sort of confrontation, so it's understandable that
they'd rather roundly ignore anything religious. That's more or less taking
the easy/safe way.