POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : MAME: It's frustrating! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  MAME: It's frustrating! (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: MAME: It's frustrating!
Date: 10 Aug 2009 08:07:16
Message: <4a800d74$1@news.povray.org>
So, I've dipped into emulation again. I've always been fond of the NES
and SNES emulators, since these were the consoles of my childhood. I
still do have my SNES console. But it's nice to be able to arbitrarily
save/load (Yeah, it's cheating... ;P)

So, I decided to find a few arcade classics and download MAME. Console
roms were easy, just dump 'em in a directory, and off you go! Not so
with arcade roms. First, you download the ROM, second you try to run it.
It fails, and whines about missing files. Then you trace it's linage,
then you download *that* ROM, only to find out that was an incomplete
set, so you set about chasing files, then find out the files you need
actually exist with several other ROMS, so you download one of those.
Finally you can play the game.

Though I have to say, it seems to emulate just about every arcade game
you can think of.
--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

> So, I decided to find a few arcade classics and download MAME. Console
> roms were easy, just dump 'em in a directory, and off you go! Not so
> with arcade roms. First, you download the ROM, second you try to run it.
> It fails, and whines about missing files. Then you trace it's linage,
> then you download *that* ROM, only to find out that was an incomplete
> set, so you set about chasing files, then find out the files you need
> actually exist with several other ROMS, so you download one of those.
> Finally you can play the game.

I hate that.

> Though I have to say, it seems to emulate just about every arcade game
> you can think of.

It is worth it, you say. It is. We want the stuff; we take it.

But that is no excuse for difficult access to stuff. Meanwhile, in the
UNIX world, you download a package from a Gnuish programmer. Then you
unpack it on your system.  He says 'make' will do. You make it, and it
crashes with stuff like undefined reference. Why? ``Well, you're
running some fascist dynamic linker.'' Oh, right. How silly of me.
Let me see... you could have avoided that by putting that comma over
here. ``Wrong. I don't negotiate with evil linkers. They should just
respect my standard. I mean, the established standard.'' The one in
the set of all the ones --- that you chose? ``Yes, the one everyone
should choose.''

I'm not angry. :-)

Post a reply to this message