POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : MAME: It's frustrating! : Re: MAME: It's frustrating! Server Time
8 Oct 2024 20:53:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MAME: It's frustrating!
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 11 Aug 2009 09:35:06
Message: <4a81738a$1@news.povray.org>
stbenge wrote:

> Dude! That's like, stealing you know. That is, if you consider copying
> information stealing. Those original programmers wouldn't get a penny if
> you bought an old game on eBay or some other place now.

A while after I posted I knew someone would point that out ... I'm sure
someone has earned some sort of residual royalties for all the clones of
the old games I've bought, though. Provided, of course, the company that
produced the game actually bought the license to use said game's
concepts....

>> Though I have to say, it seems to emulate just about every arcade game
>> you can think of.
>
> I've got a MAME emulator somewhere. Arcade games are disappointing to
> me. It might be because I suck at them ;)

Yeah, me, too.. but it's the novelty of playing around with them that's
fun ;)

My grandfather owned (still owns?) a Centipede arcade game. Of course,
he had a basement big enough for a couple games. He used to own an
arcade back in the day. That was lots and lots of fun. I'd get a
bucketfull of tokens and play each and every game.

> I recommend the original Game Boy and Game Boy Advance if you like olde
> school 2D games. The Castlevania series for GBA is particularly good.
> The Zelda series for GB Color is also great. But then again I'm a big
> ARPG fan :)

I've seen some really nice games for the GBA, including some of the
older SNES games. I used to have a GBC, but I think my ex ran off with
it. I bought it mainly to test while I was working for the gaming
company, but also bought a few cartridges for it so I could play, as
well. I didn't really like the screen, though. Too dark.

--
~Mike