POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A puzzle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:24:27 EDT (-0400)
  A puzzle (Message 31 to 40 of 49)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>
From: Daniel Bastos
Subject: Re: A puzzle
Date: 10 Aug 2009 09:37:16
Message: <4a80228c$1@news.povray.org>
In article <4a80139b@news.povray.org>,
scott wrote:

>> How come molecules "push" and "pull"? How come the strength varies?
>
> The "push" and "pull" Warp is referring to (I guess) are the forces caused
> by a pressure difference.  This causes the next "bit" of air to be moved,
> thus creating another pressure difference, and the next bit moved, etc, this
> is how the wave propagates - it's the same as a longitudinal wave in a
> slinky spring.
>
> Of course at a molecular level "pressure" is caused by colliding molecules
> etc, but I don't think you need to work at this level of detail to model how
> sound waves propagate, you can just assume that each bit of air has a
> pressure, and pressure differences will generate forces.

Alright. But I guess my question is how do I distinguish, for example,
a push from a pull. Should it all be just forces pushing one another?

But I guess when we talk about pressure, then a context in lower
pressure can be seen as pulling a context in higher pressure. Is that
the sort of pull that we're talking about?

Post a reply to this message