POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A puzzle : Re: A puzzle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A puzzle
From: clipka
Date: 10 Aug 2009 12:01:50
Message: <4a80446e$1@news.povray.org>
Daniel Bastos schrieb:
> Alright. But I guess my question is how do I distinguish, for example,
> a push from a pull. Should it all be just forces pushing one another?

Strictly speaking, with pressure there's only "push", with "pull" being
actually a push in the opposite direction:

(1) Pressure differential exerts a "pushing" force from high-pressure to
low-pressure region

(2) Pushing force accelerates medium in the gradient zone, speeding it
up until the pressure differential is compensated

(3) Inertia of the accelerated medium causes "overcompensation" of the
pressure differential

(4) Pressure differential is now reversed -> back to (1), now with
opposite direction

This is all that happens locally; at a larger scale, this will cause the
pressure differential to propagate through the medium as a wave.