POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A puzzle : Re: A puzzle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:24:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A puzzle
From: clipka
Date: 11 Aug 2009 03:02:17
Message: <4a811779$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible schrieb:
> ...all of which is true. However, a simple experiment with a wavetank
> quickly demonstrates that, for some reason that I don't comprehend,
> large waves won't go through small gaps, and yet small waves will. This
> is the precise opposite of what you would expect, but the results are
> clear.

Hum... I hate to admit this, but it seems you're right: I just hacked
together a POV-Ray script to simulate a wavetank-kind-of-apparatus (very
idealized, but still...), initially to disprove your statement - only to
find that indeed small gaps will not let low-frequency waves pass.
Changes in gradient will pass through - but not oscillations.