POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A puzzle : Re: A puzzle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:24:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A puzzle
From: clipka
Date: 11 Aug 2009 04:20:17
Message: <4a8129c1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>   This can be visualized by imagining a long string of small spheres, each
> sphere being connected to the next with a spring. If you push the first
> sphere, it will push the next sphere (through their connecting spring),
> which will push the next one, and so on. Overall this causes an advancing
> phenomenon which traverses through the entire string.
>
>   If you *pull* the first sphere, it will pull the next one, which will
> pull the next one, and so on. Again, the overall effect advances in the
> same direction and the pushing did.

Speaking of pressure, this visualization attempt is flawed. I repeat:
Strictly speaking, there's no such thing as a "pulling" force in air.

A proper way of visualizing it would be an arrangement of *loaded*
springs: If you displace the first sphere towards you, it will still
"push" the next one - but less so than the opposing push from the third
sphere, so the second sphere will give way towards you. Similarly, the
third sphere will then be pushed towards you by the fourth one, and so on.