POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christian Conspiracy Question Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Christian Conspiracy Question (Message 57 to 66 of 186)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Christian Conspiracy Question
Date: 2 Aug 2009 17:00:40
Message: <4a75fe78$1@news.povray.org>
David H. Burns wrote:
>  "Believe" and "know" are not synonyms. :)

Part of the problem is that the faithful and the non-faithful use these
terms in opposite ways.

The faithful think that believing is more "complete" thank knowing. As long
as you believe, it overrides whatever you might know.

The non-faithful say "I believe X", meaning "I might be wrong, but I think
this is the truth", while saying "I know X" means "I'm virtually certain
this is the truth."

So when the faithful person says "I believe in God," they mean what a
non-faithful person would mean by "I know there is a god and I know what
attributes that god has". When the non-faithful says "I don't believe in
god", they (generally) mean "you would have to actually give me a convincing
reason for me to believe in god, at which point I would know why."

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."