POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christian Conspiracy Question : Re: Christian Conspiracy Question Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christian Conspiracy Question
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Aug 2009 21:13:12
Message: <4a7639a8$1@news.povray.org>
David H. Burns wrote:
>> The faithful think that believing is more "complete" thank knowing. As
>> long as you believe, it overrides whatever you might know.

> Are you speaking from experience?

To some extent, yes.

>> So when the faithful person says "I believe in God," they mean what a
>> non-faithful person would mean by "I know there is a god and I know
>> what attributes that god has". When the non-faithful says "I don't
>> believe in god", they (generally) mean "you would have to actually
>> give me a convincing reason for me to believe in god, at which point I
>> would know why."
>
> It's unwise to attribute to someone a meaning different from what he has
> actually said.

I wasn't talking about what he said. I was talking about my experiences in
general discussing this sort of stuff. Jim just gave another good example:
"I know *instinctively* that it's true."

> Of few of us, in ordinary conversation anyway, say precisely what we
> mean. You use of the
> terms "faithful" and "non-faithful" are "interesting." :)

I was saying precisely what I meant. ;-)  Faith is that which turns belief
into "knowledge", altho I obviously use that latter term losely.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."