POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christian Conspiracy Question : Re: Christian Conspiracy Question Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christian Conspiracy Question
From: David H  Burns
Date: 2 Aug 2009 19:25:13
Message: <4a762059@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Fair enough. Myself, I've never seen black people discriminated against.
> Yet I don't doubt it happens.

I, too, have seen little serious discrimination against black people,
but it certainly
happened, lot lot more in the past than in present, I'm glad to say. I
don't doubt either
that real a brutal acts of violence were perpetrated against black
people by non-blacks.
You may tired of this theme, but "discrimination" and "discriminated
against" in their
modern usages are the creation of politicians and the media and in
themselves have little
emotive content. "Mistreatment" might be a more concrete, though perhaps
less
impressive term. Generally, that's what I, at any rate mean, by
"discrimination" in the context
we're using it here. Of course there are many subtle ways of ostracizing
a person which
might not be describe by either term. An these are possibly the most
damaging in the long
run -- and, of course, I've seen that against black people, and about
any "kind" of people
you might name.

>> "Bible Belt" is a media term, pejorative and emotive, with no descriptive value.

> Google, Princeton, and wikipedia all disagree. As do the Dutch, apparently.

OK, if the term has a descriptive meaning what does it mean to you? :)

David