POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something from Nothing? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:12:24 EDT (-0400)
  Something from Nothing? (Message 1 to 10 of 25)
From: Darren New
Subject: Something from Nothing?
Date: 25 Jul 2009 18:58:54
Message: <4a6b8e2e$1@news.povray.org>
What is it with the creationists who as "do you believe nothing came from
something?"

Why do they think there's evidence the universe ever didn't exist?

Often creationists will say "matter can neither be created nor destroyed,
hence God must have created it."

If you don't accept that, but if you instead think there are natural
situations under which matter can be created, then there's no need for God
to answer the question "can everything come from nothing".

If you *do* accept that, then there's no reason to believe there was ever
"nothing" to start with.

Think about the Big Bang, and how we know about it. Stars are spreading
apart, and the farther away they are, the faster they're moving away.
Logically following back in time, that means all the stars were squished
together some billions of years in the past.

Now, if you believe the universe is closed (i.e., has enough matter that
there's a bounded amount of space), then this means that all matter was
squished into the minimum amount of space possible. If there were areas
where it couldn't be squished further, gravity would quickly iron them out.
  (Indeed, this is the cause for the interest in the details of the
variations of the background radiation - why is it irregular, if everything
started out uniformly?) It does *not* mean there was nothing. Instead, it
means there was *everything*.  The entire universe was uniformly packed as
absolutely chock full of matter as possible.

If you believe the universe is open (i.e., that space is flat and infinite),
then following back in time just means that everything comes together into
an infinitely large infinitely dense universe of matter and energy. Actually
quite 100% opposite of "nothing". This may seem nonsensical unless you're
used to dealing with infinitites, but if you imagine stars coming closer
together and there's always more stars to replace the ones coming in from
far away, it makes perfect sense, just like there's the same number of even
integers as there are integers.

In neither case does the Big Bang imply "nothing," any more than a
demolition of a building implies the rubble came out of "nothing." There's
no "common sense" reason to believe there was ever a time when there was
"nothing," and the very idea that there was "time" without "something" is
nonsensical. After all, if you're going to argue religion based on the Big
Bang, you ought to be accepting the rest of General Relativity too. As far
as I know, there's no scientific reason to believe there was ever a time
when there was "nothing" either.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."

You start with questions. Are you looking for answers or do you only want
to preach. If the latter, have at it to your heart's content. If the
former, though
this may be "off-topic", I and probably others may be able to suggest
answers--
or maybe more questions. :)

David

Darren New wrote:
> What is it with the creationists who as "do you believe nothing came
> from something?"
>
> Why do they think there's evidence the universe ever didn't exist?
>
> Often creationists will say "matter can neither be created nor
> destroyed, hence God must have created it."
>
> If you don't accept that, but if you instead think there are natural
> situations under which matter can be created, then there's no need for
> God to answer the question "can everything come from nothing".
>
> If you *do* accept that, then there's no reason to believe there was
> ever "nothing" to start with.
>
> Think about the Big Bang, and how we know about it. Stars are spreading
> apart, and the farther away they are, the faster they're moving away.
> Logically following back in time, that means all the stars were squished
> together some billions of years in the past.
>
> Now, if you believe the universe is closed (i.e., has enough matter that
> there's a bounded amount of space), then this means that all matter was
> squished into the minimum amount of space possible. If there were areas
> where it couldn't be squished further, gravity would quickly iron them
> out.  (Indeed, this is the cause for the interest in the details of the
> variations of the background radiation - why is it irregular, if
> everything started out uniformly?) It does *not* mean there was nothing.
> Instead, it means there was *everything*.  The entire universe was
> uniformly packed as absolutely chock full of matter as possible.
>
> If you believe the universe is open (i.e., that space is flat and
> infinite), then following back in time just means that everything comes
> together into an infinitely large infinitely dense universe of matter
> and energy. Actually quite 100% opposite of "nothing". This may seem
> nonsensical unless you're used to dealing with infinitites, but if you
> imagine stars coming closer together and there's always more stars to
> replace the ones coming in from far away, it makes perfect sense, just
> like there's the same number of even integers as there are integers.
>
> In neither case does the Big Bang imply "nothing," any more than a
> demolition of a building implies the rubble came out of "nothing."
> There's no "common sense" reason to believe there was ever a time when
> there was "nothing," and the very idea that there was "time" without
> "something" is nonsensical. After all, if you're going to argue religion
> based on the Big Bang, you ought to be accepting the rest of General
> Relativity too. As far as I know, there's no scientific reason to
> believe there was ever a time when there was "nothing" either.

Post a reply to this message

> What is it with the creationists who as "do you believe nothing came from
> something?"
>
> Why do they think there's evidence the universe ever didn't exist?
>
> Often creationists will say "matter can neither be created nor destroyed,
> hence God must have created it."

I think even creationists (most anyway) accept that matter and energy are
transmutable, or sides of the same coin, so I'm not sure if that's the
precise form of the statement, or if you are thinking more along the lines
of the first cause argument (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_cause_argument , also maybe
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/theodore_schick/bigbang.html ).

[...]

> nonsensical. After all, if you're going to argue religion based on the Big
> Bang, you ought to be accepting the rest of General Relativity too. As far
> as I know, there's no scientific reason to believe there was ever a time
> when there was "nothing" either.

It used to be that time was considered strictly a product of Big Bang, so it
would be meaningless to even ask about such a time or cause. However, it
became more complex sometime recently.

Cause is also a nebulous concept: When you shoot two billiard balls towards
each other, what "causes" the collision? You? Inertia? Motion? At a
fundamental level, collapse of wavefunction is what comes closest to talking
about discrete causes, but even then, such can be seen as incomplete
understanding/modeling on our part. If we consider the combined wavefunction
of you and the billiard balls, there remains no deeper cause of any events
except the existence of the wavefunction itself - attributing discrete
causes to discrete events becomes an artifact of the model/interpretation,
and the non-unitariness of the operation one that of the observer/observed
dichotomy.

In any case, defining as god whatever remains when our understanding stops
back in time, although useless, is not in itself false or inconsistent. It's
when someone claims that that "god" is the same as Allah, God... etc which
assumes personality, wishes, demand, pettiness, vengefulness, caring... etc
that absurdness arises.

Post a reply to this message