POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something from Nothing? : Re: Something from Nothing? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:22:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something from Nothing?
From: Warp
Date: 27 Jul 2009 12:36:39
Message: <4a6dd797@news.povray.org>
> gregjohn wrote:
> > Whoa.  I've listened to a whole year of Astronomy Cast, and I thought that the
> > Big Bang *was* about the creation of matter.

> The big bang is postulated because everything is moving apart. If you
> reverse time, everything is moving back together again. Much like people
> knew what temperature was "absolute zero" long before they could get
> anywhere close to making it in the lab.

  Of course it's not just that simple, as many of the features of the
observed universe don't conform to a simplistic Big Bang. This has prompted
refinements of the theory, including the cosmic inflation, which theorizes
that there was a time shortly after the Big Bang when the universe inflated
at an exponential rate. (And no, this doesn't go against general relativity.)

--
                                                          - Warp