POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something from Nothing? : Re: Something from Nothing? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something from Nothing?
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Jul 2009 12:06:40
Message: <4a6dd090$1@news.povray.org>
gregjohn wrote:
> Whoa.  I've listened to a whole year of Astronomy Cast, and I thought that the
> Big Bang *was* about the creation of matter.

The big bang is postulated because everything is moving apart. If you
reverse time, everything is moving back together again. Much like people
knew what temperature was "absolute zero" long before they could get
anywhere close to making it in the lab.

 > It is precisely not, as once
> described by Cal Thomas, a scenario you seem to agree with, "the explosion of
> an eternally existent cosmic egg."

You can have an explosion of an eternally existent cosmic egg without
creating matter. Indeed, if it's eternally existent, that's precisely the
point I'm making.

> Big Bang = Gen 1:1

Well, no. That's exactly my point. In the beginning was *everything*.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."