POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Racism in the US Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Racism in the US (Message 16 to 25 of 105)
From: Neeum Zawan
Subject: Re: Racism in the US
Date: 10 Jul 2009 13:54:03
Message: <4a57803b$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/10/09 11:35, Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> In many places (especially in the US but very much also in Europe) some
>> people (such as employers) cannot treat everybody in the same way for the
>> fear of being accused of racism.
>
> To be fair, this *does* keep going back and forth. One not rarely reads
> articles where some court or other said it was discriminatory to not
> promote the white folks who passed the test just because none of the
> minorities who took the test passed, or that it's illegal to not admit

Citation for anyone interested:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hzSshxj3_ArctG2PKsP2_rYMV7iA

	To be fair, though, the judges who had previously ruled that the city
did the right thing admitted it was silly, but they felt that it was
mandated by the law, and it wasn't their job to argue whether the law
was silly.

> americans to schools who did better than the asians, or something like

	This is a new one for me. My Asian colleague keeps pointing out that
they're never the beneficiaries of affirmative action (which he is
against). I keep pointing out to him that they usually do better than
white Americans anyway. ;-)

> that. Every couple years there's a ballot in California to switch
> between "equal opportunity" and "no discrimination" in the state
> universities, for example.

	I haven't followed this, but my colleague, who did his undergrad in UC
Berkeley, states that the UC system removed affirmative action in the
90's and have not reinstated it since.

	(Which doesn't contradict your statement - I thought I'd just point it
out).

--
BASIC isn't; C stands for Confusing...

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z