POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Racism in the US : Re: Racism in the US Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:25:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Racism in the US
From: Tim Cook
Date: 10 Jul 2009 14:59:47
Message: <4a578fa3$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   To multiculturalists racism, ethnicism, xenofobia, islamofobia and
> basically everything is "racism". It's an umbrella term for everything
> related to how white men behave towards non-white people.

While many white men feel marginalised by these things, one must
consider the very real notion that, for much of recorded history, males
in general (and white males in the Western societies) *have* abused
their positions of power, causing what is effectively a kneejerk
reaction once that reaction is acknowledged as even slightly valid, and
growing as acceptance of it spreads.

However.

We're pretty much all the same, us humans, all petty and greedy and
otherwise not very nice towards each other, so you get the same sorts of
things happening when you swap who's in any particular power role.

The vast majority of the world was, is, and will never really be 'in
control', so there's no use b'awwwing over someone else calling the
shots if you personally were never in the position to do it anyways.
Feel slighted because of your gender/race/ethnicity/sexual
identity/toothpaste preference?  Don't worry, just about everyone else
has things just as bad, and that's just how things are.  In time,
someone from 'your group' will rise to power, and...it won't change much
of anything for all the other members of the group.  Their close friends
will probably experience some benefits, and there might be spillover
into the law to give your type a break, but big-picture-wise, it's
status quo.  Noise will be made by some, and the squeaky wheel will get
its grease, but only until it stops squeaking too loudly compared to the
others.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net