POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Racism in the US : Re: Racism in the US Server Time
9 Oct 2024 02:32:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Racism in the US
From: Warp
Date: 10 Jul 2009 15:41:29
Message: <4a579968@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> While many white men feel marginalised by these things, one must
> consider the very real notion that, for much of recorded history, males
> in general (and white males in the Western societies) *have* abused
> their positions of power, causing what is effectively a kneejerk
> reaction once that reaction is acknowledged as even slightly valid, and
> growing as acceptance of it spreads.

  I don't have any problem aknowledging history, and I am the first one
to promote learning from the past in order to avoid repeating the same
mistakes as our ancestors.

  However, I do have a problem with this modern idea that white people are
still somehow "responsible" for what their ancestors did, and that they have
to somehow compensate for that, to pay back what they took, especially when
this means discriminating against some people for what their ancestors maybe
have done.

  I am not responsible for what some people have done centuries ago. Even
if someone of my own forefathers had done something wrong, I'm still not
responsible for that. Nobody can and should not hold me responsible for
what someone else has done in the past, regardless of common ethnicity, or
even if it was a direct ancestor.

  "Equal rights" should be taken literally. "Equal rights" cannot mean that
some people are more protected than others, or that some people are given
better opportunities than others, based on something like ethnicity or
origin.

  Discriminating in order to eradicate some perceived "racism" is just
wrong, in a very ironic way. "Two wrongs don't make a right" may sound
like a cliche, but I think in this case it's a valid statement. You can't
eradicate racism by exercising it "in reverse". The only thing you are
going to achieve is frustration and resentment, which can only prolong
any existing animosity.

  (Some people suggest that many multiculturalists actually *want* to
maintain animosity and racism, while still keeping a facade of trying
to completely eradicate it. If racism was truely and completely eradicated,
they would be "out of job" (sometimes *literally*, as there are many jobs
which exist for this sole reason).)

--
                                                          - Warp