POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:15:16 EDT (-0400)
  An example of confirmation bias? (Message 210 to 219 of 279)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: An example of confirmation bias?
Date: 9 Jul 2009 22:11:03
Message: <4a56a337$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> The whole point of religion is to control
> people "now", in order to save them "later", in some vague sense.

I actually had an interesting thought about this a long time ago that I
never wrote up extensively.

Consider the tragedy of the commons, or any other problem where individual
selfishness is bad for everyone compared to individual altruism, *if* you
can get everyone to cooperate.

Government can avoid this by making the "cost" function of being selfish
high enough that the altruism mechanism is more attractive. E.g., cheating
on a contract can cost you more than the value of the contract.

Religion can avoid this by making the "reward" function of being altruistic
high enough that the selfishness is less attractive. E.g., cheating on a
contract now gets you money but loses you eternal bliss.

In the best of worlds, both government and religion are in the same business.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."