POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:14:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Chambers
Date: 9 Jul 2009 22:12:20
Message: <4a56a384@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Assuming that God wants the Mormon church corrected enough to ask you to
>> do it, I would also expect Him to empower you to achieve that end.
>
> Perhaps, though the struggle/journey may have benefit as well for the
> long term.  That's the problem with trying to second-guess God's
> motivations, too.  There may be a reason why he might put someone on a
> collision course with the Church leadership that isn't apparent to anyone.

Once you start trying to second guess an absent figure with no physical
manifestation and no reliable means of communication, then you really
need to take a break.

> I was raised Lutheran myself, though - though I identify as non-Christian
> now (I'd probably say mostly agnostic to be honest - don't know if
> there's a God or not, don't really care, I guess I may find out at some
> point.

Yeah, at this point I'd probably say I'm agnostic with atheist leanings.
  Quite a change from my upbringing ;)

> it seems likely that if there is a God, he may have defined the
> parameters of the Universe (physics, for example) and set things in
> motion.  But once the rules for how things interact in the universe were
> set, they can't be changed.

The clockmaker theory, then?

--
Chambers