POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Jul 2009 03:14:51
Message: <4a583beb@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 16:21:10 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> The whole point of religion is to control people "now", in order to save
> them "later", in some vague sense.

Well, if I were a cynic, I'd say that the point of religion is to get
people to believe in an afterlife and then use that belief in an
afterlife to control them now (by implanting fears about how they will
spend eternity if they don't do the things the religious leadership wants
them to do).  Making people think they will spend an eternity in hellfire
and pain will motivate people to do a lot of things.

Jim