POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  An example of confirmation bias? (Message 110 to 119 of 279)
From: Chambers
Subject: Re: An example of confirmation bias?
Date: 6 Jul 2009 01:57:23
Message: <4a519243@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Um, maybe that's what they want people to believe, but the Church itself
> is credited for donating just over $55,000.  That's in the Church's name.

Like I said, I was active for more than 25 years, and that's the first
time I heard of them taking a stance on a specific piece of legistlation.

> Fact of the matter is that for out-of-state contributions in support of
> Prop 8, Utah ranked 1st with more than 50% of out-of-state
> contributions.

That doesn't surprise me.  A large portion of the population of Utah is
comprised of active LDS members, and the LDS Church (as opposed to, for
instance, Catholicism) has always inspired more activity than other
churches (for instance, the practice of going to Church on Easter and
Christmas, but avoiding it the rest of the year, is rather uncommon
amongst Mormons, despite being near-epidemic amongst Catholics).

> Remember that this is a church that has repressed women since its
> inception and minorities until relatively recently.

?  You mean the Church whose members were the first to extend the right
to vote to women?  (Utah gave suffrage several decades before the rest
of the nation).

> It's also highly ironic that the Church's historic "marriage" is
> polygamistic (still practiced by some sects,

Still practiced by excommunicated members.  There are no "sects" of the
LDS Church practicing polygamy... whenever anyone is discovered
practicing it, they are excommunicated immediately.

--
Chambers

Post a reply to this message