POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Warp
Date: 6 Jul 2009 04:24:54
Message: <4a51b4d6@news.povray.org>
> > In Finland, for example, you can literally
> > get jailed if you made such a video about islam. There have been concrete
> > cases.

> Why is that? Some bizarre reading of "human rights" or something?

  The multiculturalism ideology and the "fight against racism" has gone
completely out of control in many European countries, including Finland.

>  > (Christianity, on the other hand, is completely free to be bashed.)

> I find it hard to understand how to reconcile that, except maybe the way
> that it's common to consider a white person being passed over in favor of a
> black person "affirmative action" but the reverse being "discrimination."

  Religions themselves have no special protection here, but ethnic groups
have (well, except for white natives, of course). The concept of "ethnic
group" has suffered a huge inflation in the last decade due to the
multiculturalist ideology. Thus criticizing islam is equalled to
criticizing muslims, which is seen as discrimination against an ethnic
group. There have been actual cases of people having been sued and
convicted for creating videos with harsh attacks against islam (technically
not because of the attack against islam, but because of the discrimination
against an ethnic group). All while equally harsh videos against christianity
get nothing.

  Amusingly (or sadly, depending on the point of view), Americans are not
considered a protected "ethnic group", and thus are completely free to be
bashed. Again, actual case.

--
                                                          - Warp