POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Jul 2009 12:21:50
Message: <4a52249e$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   The entire reason I wrote my response to the video was precisely to
> point out that their arguments are flawed.

I think that to call an argument a straw man requires that you actually
exaggerate the argument the opponent is putting forth. I think arguing "not
all Christians think this way" is not sufficient to establish it as a straw
man.

>   People here seem to argue that their point is "you are interpreting
> the bible in the wrong way", even though it's quite clear that their
> point is "God doesn't exist". It's a direct attack to all christianity,
> not just a specific group inside it.

Only if you believe in the same God that Fred Phelps and Ray Comfort
believes in.  One of the problems is that everyone thinks everyone else
believes the same stuff.  It just isn't true.

Note, by your take, it's not an attack on Christianity, but an attack on at
least every abrhamic faith.

>   (And btw, quotes are not used for emphasis, but for the exact opposite,
> ie. de-emphasis.)

Yeah. Sometimes the posts are almost unreadable due to that.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western