POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HMGCC Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  HMGCC (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Invisible
Subject: HMGCC
Date: 15 Jun 2009 10:19:38
Message: <4a36587a$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so it is apparently 1 year since I started filling out an electronic
application form for HMGCC. When the form is completed, it gets
submitted, but I got stuck on two points:

- They demand references. I have none.

- They want some wordy stuff.

Quoth the form:

"References

Normally only work and/or education related references should be given.
Enter the names, addresses and telephone numbers of people who may be
approached for references, to cover a period of the preceding 5 years.
One of these must be your present or most recent employer, someone who
knows you in a work related/voluntary or educational capacity, or
someone able to comment upon your suitability."

Nice multi-part sentence structure there. So does that mean that I can
submit any two people who are "able to comment upon my suitability"?

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody here can give me some hints for the
other section:

"COMPETENCIES
The following questions relate to some of the interests and skills that
are required to perform effectively in the role. Your responses to these
questions will be used to assess your application, so it is very
important that you provide the best responses you can. We will also be
assessing the quality of your written work from your responses.

Your examples can come from any area of your experience; for example,
paid employment or voluntary work, at university or college, or in
connection with your hobbies or interests. Please ensure that you give a
specific example for each question, and that you answer all of the
supplementary questions. Your answers should be no more than 300 words
per question.

Works with others:
The ability to be able to work collaboratively with others inside and
outside of a team is an important skill for this role.

1. Please describe a time when you have worked with others in order to
solve a complex problem or fault
- What was the problem or fault?
- How did you work collaboratively with others to solve the problem or
fault?
- What was your role in the team? What contribution did others bring to
the team?
- What was the outcome?

Plans and organises:
In this role, you will be required to take responsibility for your work
and to manage and organise your time effectively to achieve high quality
outputs.

2. Please describe an example of when you delivered a high quality piece
of work that you were proud of
- What was the piece of work?
- How did you plan and organise the work so that it was delivered to
high quality?
- How did you review the detail of the work to ensure you had completed
it accurately?
- Why were you proud of the outcome?

Adapts to Change:
Demonstrating openness to change and tackling the unfamiliar is an
important requirement when working at HMGCC

3. Please give an example of when you tackled an unfamiliar problem or
task, and learnt something new
- What was the problem or task and why was it unfamiliar?
- How did you tackle the problem or task?
- What was the outcome?
- What did you learn?

Develops Organisational Capability:
An active interest in the type of work that you will do, and showing
commitment to develop your technical capability, are also critical for
success in this role.

4. Please describe a time when you took on a task that illustrates your
active interest in this area of work and allowed you to develop new skills
- What specifically did you do?
- Why did you do this?
- How did this develop your skills?
- How would you like to develop your skills moving forward?

Should you be successful with your application, you may be required
carry out a programming test. Of the following two options, which would

Any hints, guys?

As you all know, I don't work with other people, and I never have. I
don't plan or organist anything. And although I tackle unfamiliar
subjects all the time, none of this is to solve a "problem", it's just
for the hell of it.

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:19:38 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Nice multi-part sentence structure there. So does that mean that I can
> submit any two people who are "able to comment upon my suitability"?

That's the way I read it.

> Any hints, guys?
>
> As you all know, I don't work with other people, and I never have. I
> don't plan or organist anything. And although I tackle unfamiliar
> subjects all the time, none of this is to solve a "problem", it's just
> for the hell of it.

Well, we all work with other people in some capacity.  Your DR document
is a plan, so use that with regards to planning/organisation.

As for things you tackle as unfamiliar subjects, the "problem" you're
solving is a lack of knowledge that you wish to fill.

Jim

Post a reply to this message