POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Heavy metal Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Heavy metal (Message 1 to 10 of 46)
From: Invisible
Subject: Heavy metal
Date: 1 Jun 2009 10:32:38
Message: <4a23e686@news.povray.org>
OK, so I've been experimenting with Wolfram's Alpha thingy. Useful if
you happen to want to know how long 10^15 seconds is, if you want a
graph quickly, or if you want to look up the electrical resistence of
silicon. Not much use for anything else.

I did find some interesting information though...

Alpha claims that the current trading price for gold is approximately

t. (I had no idea Platinum was so expensive!)

I tried to get similar data for other substances, but Wolfram's "data
curators" evidently haven't got that far yet. I did find a website
though that claims that the London Metal Exchange has the following prices:

   Sn $14.325 / Kg
   Ni $13.770 / Kg
   Cu $ 4.776 / Kg
   Pd $ 1.530 / Kg
   Zn $ 1.509 / Kg
   Al $ 1.384 / Kg

(Not sure why the LME lists prices in USD, but still...)

This table is completely baffling to me. As everybody knows, Alunimium
is about the most expensive metal you can buy (except for weird stuff
like Titanium, or the "precious metals" like Gold or Silver), and Lead
is about the cheapest metal there is. Except that this table says no
such thing!! o_O

Hmm, I wonder why Iron isn't listed? A rather common metal, after all...

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 15:32:36 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> OK, so I've been experimenting with Wolfram's Alpha thingy. Useful if
> you happen to want to know how long 10^15 seconds is, if you want a
> graph quickly, or if you want to look up the electrical resistence of
> silicon. Not much use for anything else.

I've found it to be useful for figuring out caloric information for
recipes.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=troy+ounce

 > And Platinum is about £744 / oz
> t. (I had no idea Platinum was so expensive!)

Yep.

> (Not sure why the LME lists prices in USD, but still...)

Because it's a metal commodity exchange, and those metals are sold in
dollars. Just like oil, for example.

> This table is completely baffling to me. As everybody knows, Alunimium

> is about the most expensive metal you can buy (except for weird stuff
> like Titanium, or the "precious metals" like Gold or Silver), and Lead

> is about the cheapest metal there is. Except that this table says no
> such thing!! o_O

These are futures markets, not stores. You're not buying the metals. You'
re
buying futures on the metals. That's one reason you'll see funky pricing.

Plus, I don't think Aluminum is that expensive. It used to be expensive
before they figured out how to extract it from common compounds (which is

why the Washington Monument has a cap of aluminum), and it's probably
expensive for its weight and structural properties (you don't build
airplanes out of nickel or tin and it's more expensive than heavier thing
like iron and brass), but I don't think it's expensive on an absolute bas
is
or they wouldn't make aluminum foil and aluminum cans from it.

> Hmm, I wonder why Iron isn't listed? A rather common metal, after all..
.

"""
Welcome to the London Metal Exchange
The London Metal Exchange is the world's premier non-ferrous metals marke
t.
"""

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

> This table is completely baffling to me.

Dated, but still a good read:

http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/metal_prices/

Post a reply to this message

> is about the most expensive metal you can buy

  As everybody knows? Aluminium is used for almost everything, from
cookware to car and airplane chassis.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> is about the most expensive metal you can buy
>
>   As everybody knows? Aluminium is used for almost everything, from
> cookware to car and airplane chassis.

Last I heard, airplanes aren't exactly "cheap", nor are cars, and
cookware made of alunimium rather than steel is vastly more expensive.
(Ditto for computer cases.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Last I heard, airplanes aren't exactly "cheap", nor are cars, and
> cookware made of alunimium rather than steel is vastly more expensive.

  That only tells that steel is cheaper than aluminum, not that aluminum
is super-expensive.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message