POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Heavy metal : Heavy metal Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:49 EDT (-0400)
  Heavy metal
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Jun 2009 10:32:38
Message: <4a23e686@news.povray.org>
OK, so I've been experimenting with Wolfram's Alpha thingy. Useful if
you happen to want to know how long 10^15 seconds is, if you want a
graph quickly, or if you want to look up the electrical resistence of
silicon. Not much use for anything else.

I did find some interesting information though...

Alpha claims that the current trading price for gold is approximately

t. (I had no idea Platinum was so expensive!)

I tried to get similar data for other substances, but Wolfram's "data
curators" evidently haven't got that far yet. I did find a website
though that claims that the London Metal Exchange has the following prices:

   Sn $14.325 / Kg
   Ni $13.770 / Kg
   Cu $ 4.776 / Kg
   Pd $ 1.530 / Kg
   Zn $ 1.509 / Kg
   Al $ 1.384 / Kg

(Not sure why the LME lists prices in USD, but still...)

This table is completely baffling to me. As everybody knows, Alunimium
is about the most expensive metal you can buy (except for weird stuff
like Titanium, or the "precious metals" like Gold or Silver), and Lead
is about the cheapest metal there is. Except that this table says no
such thing!! o_O

Hmm, I wonder why Iron isn't listed? A rather common metal, after all...