POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Heavy metal : Re: Heavy metal Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heavy metal
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Jun 2009 12:27:10
Message: <4a24015e$1@news.povray.org>

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=troy+ounce

 > And Platinum is about £744 / oz
> t. (I had no idea Platinum was so expensive!)

Yep.

> (Not sure why the LME lists prices in USD, but still...)

Because it's a metal commodity exchange, and those metals are sold in
dollars. Just like oil, for example.

> This table is completely baffling to me. As everybody knows, Alunimium

> is about the most expensive metal you can buy (except for weird stuff
> like Titanium, or the "precious metals" like Gold or Silver), and Lead

> is about the cheapest metal there is. Except that this table says no
> such thing!! o_O

These are futures markets, not stores. You're not buying the metals. You'
re
buying futures on the metals. That's one reason you'll see funky pricing.

Plus, I don't think Aluminum is that expensive. It used to be expensive
before they figured out how to extract it from common compounds (which is

why the Washington Monument has a cap of aluminum), and it's probably
expensive for its weight and structural properties (you don't build
airplanes out of nickel or tin and it's more expensive than heavier thing
like iron and brass), but I don't think it's expensive on an absolute bas
is
or they wouldn't make aluminum foil and aluminum cans from it.

> Hmm, I wonder why Iron isn't listed? A rather common metal, after all..
.

"""
Welcome to the London Metal Exchange
The London Metal Exchange is the world's premier non-ferrous metals marke
t.
"""

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)