POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another Vista stupidity Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:54 EDT (-0400)
  Another Vista stupidity (Message 33 to 42 of 42)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Another Vista stupidity
Date: 15 May 2009 17:26:15
Message: <4a0dddf7$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 15 May 2009 22:20:19 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> Yeah - I heard an unsubstantiated rumour that Oracle bought them...
>>
>> It's not an unsubstantiated rumour - it's a fact:
>>
>> http://www.oracle.com/sun/index.html
>>
>> http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/pr/2009-04/sunflash.20090420.1.xml
>
> ...OK, so now it's substantiated rumour.

It's not a rumour.  It's a fact, Sun is being bought by Oracle.

> It still doesn't make any sense to me though. Sun is multiple times
> larger than Oracle - so how was Oracle able to buy them?

Because Sun isn't as big as it used to be, and Oracle is bigger.

That said, smaller companies do buy bigger companies from time to time.
I worked for a large food & drug retailer here in the US that got bought
by a smaller (by about 50% if size is measured by "number of stores")
company.  They were able to afford it.

And the management was looking to sell.

Jim

Post a reply to this message