POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another Vista stupidity : Re: Another Vista stupidity Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another Vista stupidity
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 15 May 2009 20:49:12
Message: <4a0e0d88$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   "How do I do that?" Right, he was in Windows, and there's no diff in
>>> Windows. We pondered for a moment what would be the easiest solution.
>
>> Download diff for Windows? :-)
>
>   That's precisely the problem I was talking about. *Nothing* comes with
> Windows by default, and for everything you would have to search and download
> some third-party, non-standard utility which might or might not do what you
> want.
>
>   (Additionally, Windows' command prompt just isn't as easy to use as
> unix's. It's just a PitA to try to do anything in it.)

Yeah. Just one example: 4DOS.

Features, if you can even find a copy that isn't pay to use any more, or
one at all (I haven't looked recently):

1. ANSI support built in to the command.com replacement.
2. Color coding of files by type.
3. File sorting and other options.
4. List command, so view > 32k files, a page at a time, with the ability
to do searches in the text *and* go forward of back in the file (built in).
5. Other stuff I don't remember.

MS' solutions?

1. Sorry, not even supported, as far as I know, as a "functional" part
of the command line even in XP, Vista, or likely 7. You can hunt down
some third party file from PC World, or someone, which was written in
the 1990s, and use that to get ANSI support. Otherwise, its only
available via ansi.sys, if you boot into DOS mode.

2. Woops... This won't work without #1, so you are SOL.

3. Umm.. Kind of, if you string a lot of files together. I think they is
a sort function in the DOS utilities, though I don't think it comes
"with" Windows, and I doubt you can find DOS any more. But, it would
work something like, "dir {flags for the stuff that is supported} | sort
| more", easy... As long as you don't want "any" bloody real control
over what is going on in those steps, and you don't mind looking up sets
of commands flags you never use, for 2-3 utilities. You, well... can't
do some of it at all in the GUI, not really, at least not as cleanly, or
clearly, as you can in the prompt.

4. Lets keep using QBASIC running in "EDIT" mode (this is literally
their solution), until we have Notepad, then give Notepad the same 32k
limit, and keep it that way, and as the "default" txt file reader, until
XP, and worse, only allow it to "recognize" .txt as a valid extension,
so you can't open any other text files. Oh, and.. lets **never** bother
to implement a way to read non-DOS files, which don't use the CR+LF
method of terminating lines.

5. You name it, they either ignored it, or made up their own, which
doesn't work like anyone else's. Such as, who in their right mind would
want VBscript or Jscript as the command line script system, even if...
again, they didn't bother even "supplying" something more interesting
than .bat files until XP came out? lol

Not made for developers? Its not made for anyone with any clue at all,
and that includes people that where doing things under DOS, near the end
of its life, which are "vastly" superior to everything they provide
"today" in the same command prompt.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {