POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another Vista stupidity : Re: Another Vista stupidity Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:16:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another Vista stupidity
From: Darren New
Date: 22 May 2009 14:39:29
Message: <4a16f161$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Hmm. Yeah. Come to think of it, they did eventually add "something", it
> was just less than helpful. lol Still, you can't pipe the result into a
> "list" command, if its a massive directory, so you still have to use
> 'more', which won't let you page through the results. Well, unless you
> pipe it to a *giant* file, then read that in the new notepad. lol

Wait... You want to sort a "massive" directory, page through it back and
forth, but you don't want it going onto the disk?  You realize it doesn't
work that way, right? By the definition of the problem, you have to
completely generate the directory output before the sort can show you what
the first result is. It's a classic offline computing problem. There's no
such thing as an online sort.

BTW, what is this "list" command of which you speak?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)