POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another Vista stupidity : Re: Another Vista stupidity Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:16:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another Vista stupidity
From: Darren New
Date: 15 May 2009 21:26:08
Message: <4a0e1630$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> 3. Umm.. Kind of, if you string a lot of files together.

What do you mean "file sorting"? Sorting the contents of a file, or sorting
directory listings? Both come with Windows.

> work something like, "dir {flags for the stuff that is supported} | sort
> | more", easy...

Um, why doesn't that work?  And why wouldn't you just pass the flags to dir
to make it do the sorting?

> and you don't mind looking up sets
> of commands flags you never use, for 2-3 utilities.

So, you're complaining that *DOS* is lame because you have to know what the
command flags are to make the commands to things? Have you looked at the
size of the bash man page lately? ;-)

> 4. Lets keep using QBASIC running in "EDIT" mode (this is literally
> their solution),

Uh, until maybe 15 years ago, yes.

> until we have Notepad, then give Notepad the same 32k limit,

Until you had the 386....

> and keep it that way, and as the "default" txt file reader, until XP,

Possibly. SO you're still bitching about an OS that's two generations out of
date?

 > and worse, only allow it to "recognize" .txt as a valid extension,

Always amused to see people complaining about things they don't know
anything about. As far as I know, that's *never* been the case. I used
notepad to edit .exe files back in Win3 days.

> 5. You name it, they either ignored it, or made up their own, which
> doesn't work like anyone else's.

Cause, like, you don't even know what you're talking about, but you'd best
bash it, right?

> Such as, who in their right mind would
> want VBscript or Jscript as the command line script system,

Probably anyone that worked with VB before? Like Windows developers?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)