POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another Vista stupidity : Re: Another Vista stupidity Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:16:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another Vista stupidity
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 17 May 2009 18:01:39
Message: <4a108943@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> 2. Woops... This won't work without #1, so you are SOL.
>
> Wrong, you can print colors in a Windows console. You just can't do it with
> ANSI codes. A 'dir' that prints color is still possible.

Uh, not talking about printing color. Anything can do that, if its
designed to do so using "direct" hardware (or simulated, as it where)
accesses, but, in the majority of cases, the existing tools, never mind
what you can do directly in something like .bat, you "need" ANSI. And,
that isn't even mentioning the vast number of still usable things,
including some utilities, that used it, instead of the direct method, to
get color. Mind, I think later versions of 4DOS did do it direct, but
that, at the time, just created even more confusion for people wondering
why *it* worked, but nothing else they where using did. lol

>> 3. Umm.. Kind of, if you string a lot of files together. I think they is
>> a sort function in the DOS utilities, though I don't think it comes
>> "with" Windows, and I doubt you can find DOS any more. But, it would
>> work something like, "dir {flags for the stuff that is supported} | sort
>> | more", easy... As long as you don't want "any" bloody real control
>> over what is going on in those steps, and you don't mind looking up sets
>> of commands flags you never use, for 2-3 utilities. You, well... can't
>> do some of it at all in the GUI, not really, at least not as cleanly, or
>> clearly, as you can in the prompt.
>
> 'dir' has switches to sort by different criteria. There is also a 'sort'
> command that works as a filter you can pipe stuff into.

Hmm. Yeah. Come to think of it, they did eventually add "something", it
was just less than helpful. lol Still, you can't pipe the result into a
"list" command, if its a massive directory, so you still have to use
'more', which won't let you page through the results. Well, unless you
pipe it to a *giant* file, then read that in the new notepad. lol

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();