POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stupid question of the week Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:17 EDT (-0400)
  Stupid question of the week (Message 1 to 10 of 25)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Stupid question of the week
Date: 10 May 2009 16:04:04
Message: <4a073334$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so here goes...

Under Unix, you can type a shell command and end it with "&" (IIRC), and
it runs in the background. Is there any way of doing this under Windows?

Also, Unix as "sudo". Does Windows have anything similar?

(I just discovered that on Vista, you can't install Haskell packages
because the installer doesn't have permission to write the files. But
how the hell do you *give* it permission??)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Sun, 10 May 2009 22:04:09 +0200, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

> Under Unix, you can type a shell command and end it with "&" (IIRC), and
> it runs in the background. Is there any way of doing this under Windows?

As far as I know there is no way to run several concurrent processes in a
single command window, but you can use the "start" command to give the new
process its own window.

> Also, Unix as "sudo". Does Windows have anything similar?

Yes, "runas".

> (I just discovered that on Vista, you can't install Haskell packages
> because the installer doesn't have permission to write the files. But
> how the hell do you *give* it permission??)

Right-click the installer and select "Run as administrator".

--
FE

Post a reply to this message

>> Under Unix, you can type a shell command and end it with "&" (IIRC),
>> and it runs in the background. Is there any way of doing this under
>> Windows?
>
> As far as I know there is no way to run several concurrent processes in
> a single command window, but you can use the "start" command to give the
> new process its own window.

This is what I was looking for. Thanks.

>> Also, Unix as "sudo". Does Windows have anything similar?
>
> Yes, "runas".

OK, I'll give that a try.

>> (I just discovered that on Vista, you can't install Haskell packages
>> because the installer doesn't have permission to write the files. But
>> how the hell do you *give* it permission??)
>
> Right-click the installer and select "Run as administrator".

Hmm. I'd have to compile the installer first. (Usually you just run the
installation program through the Haskell interpretter...)

Presumably I can use runas to give myself a command prompt with admin
access. (?)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/