POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stupid question of the week : Re: Stupid question of the week Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:27:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stupid question of the week
From: Darren New
Date: 11 May 2009 11:58:52
Message: <4a084b3c$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I don't think file ownership will be a problem. The permissions on the
> folder are set correctly, so I think it'll work.

Yeah.  NTFS has a better permissions model than UNIX does, so it's easier to
make sure files in a directory end up properly permissioned.

> (I wonder how you get it to do the thing where it *asks* for permission
> to do stuff?)

There's a flag in the header of the executable. Alternately, ...

> Interestingly, the other day I tried to unzip a file into Program Files
> and 7zip couldn't do it. However, Windows Explorer could. (It asked for
> permission.) Interesting, eh? :-.

... you try, you fail with a "permission denied" message, and you put up a
prompt saying "would you like to try again as administrator?"

>> Or right-click on the command prompt icon and pick "run as
>> administrator".
>
> This works on XP, but under Vista I couldn't see an option for that...

Open the start menu (with a left click), navigate until you see the command
prompt icon on the menu, and right click it. The second option should be
"run as administrator". It's the one with the security shield icon next to it.

Alternately, start a command prompt and see if it already says
"administrator" in the title bar, in which case you've already configured
your machine to bypass all the security stuff. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)