POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stupid question of the week : Re: Stupid question of the week Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stupid question of the week
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 10 May 2009 16:25:53
Message: <4a073851@news.povray.org>
>> Under Unix, you can type a shell command and end it with "&" (IIRC),
>> and it runs in the background. Is there any way of doing this under
>> Windows?
>
> As far as I know there is no way to run several concurrent processes in
> a single command window, but you can use the "start" command to give the
> new process its own window.

This is what I was looking for. Thanks.

>> Also, Unix as "sudo". Does Windows have anything similar?
>
> Yes, "runas".

OK, I'll give that a try.

>> (I just discovered that on Vista, you can't install Haskell packages
>> because the installer doesn't have permission to write the files. But
>> how the hell do you *give* it permission??)
>
> Right-click the installer and select "Run as administrator".

Hmm. I'd have to compile the installer first. (Usually you just run the
installation program through the Haskell interpretter...)

Presumably I can use runas to give myself a command prompt with admin
access. (?)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/