POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next evolution in P2P Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:23 EDT (-0400)
  The next evolution in P2P (Message 11 to 20 of 110)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: The next evolution in P2P
Date: 9 May 2009 09:37:00
Message: <4a0586fc@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> If you do take the context it is clear that Darren is using Pirate Bay
> to signal that now persons can be held responsible for things on their
> server if they can know that it may be violating copyrights.

  I wonder how long it will take before copyright holders will stop chasing
individuals and instead lobby western governments to impose huge taxes on
internet connections which everybody must pay (regardless of whether they
download music illegally or not), the money going to the music industry.

  After they tax the internet, they will start taxing everything that can
contain data, such as, rather obviously, mp3 players, but less obviously
memory cards, usb sticks, cellphones, hard disks, CD-R(W)s, DVD-R(W)s, etc.

  After that they will start taxing everything that can *transfer* data,
even if it can't *store* it. This will include things like ADSL modems,
network cards, routers, usb hubs, wlan access points...

  After that they will be start taxing people for the sole reason that
they *might* listen to music illegally.

  Am I exaggerating here? I'm not. In Finland they are trying to pass a
law that will make every single household in Finland have to pay a "media
tax". Yes, this will include people who are deaf or blind (or both), and
people with no TV, internet or even computers. And this regardless of how
much money they earn. This has caused a huge amount of protest here.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> law that will make every single household in Finland have to pay a "media
> tax".

  Oh, and get this: Even if you pay the tax in question, it will nevertheless
*still* be illegal to download eg. episodes of a TV show from the internet
(even if those episodes have been broadcast here already).

  Of course.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> If you do take the context it is clear that Darren is using Pirate Bay
>> to signal that now persons can be held responsible for things on their
>> server if they can know that it may be violating copyrights.
>
>   I wonder how long it will take before copyright holders will stop chasing
> individuals and instead lobby western governments to impose huge taxes on
> internet connections which everybody must pay (regardless of whether they
> download music illegally or not), the money going to the music industry.
>
>   After they tax the internet, they will start taxing everything that can
> contain data, such as, rather obviously, mp3 players, but less obviously
> memory cards, usb sticks, cellphones, hard disks, CD-R(W)s, DVD-R(W)s, etc.
>
>   After that they will start taxing everything that can *transfer* data,
> even if it can't *store* it. This will include things like ADSL modems,
> network cards, routers, usb hubs, wlan access points...
>
>   After that they will be start taxing people for the sole reason that
> they *might* listen to music illegally.
>
>   Am I exaggerating here? I'm not. In Finland they are trying to pass a
> law that will make every single household in Finland have to pay a "media
> tax". Yes, this will include people who are deaf or blind (or both), and
> people with no TV, internet or even computers. And this regardless of how
> much money they earn. This has caused a huge amount of protest here.

sounds familiar. One of the side effects of the current financial crisis
might be that legislators start realizing that it may not be optimal to
adjust laws to benefit those that can afford to buy a politician. Though
I doubt that that will happen.

Post a reply to this message

From: somebody
Date: 9 May 2009 11:07:01