POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next evolution in P2P : Re: The next evolution in P2P Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:15:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The next evolution in P2P
From: Warp
Date: 9 May 2009 11:39:46
Message: <4a05a3c2@news.povray.org>
somebody <x### [at] ycom> wrote:
> I cannot blame copyright holders for trying to protect their interests.

  My major complaint is that priorities are all wrong in this.

  The music industry has succeeded in creating a world where a 7yo girl
downloading one piece of music from the internet is considered a bigger
crime than a company using a piece of utility software illegally to make
money.

  Where is the corproration that protects *my* rights as a professional
programmer? That hunts people who copy my software without paying the
proper price, who sues them and then gives me the money I deserve?

  Nowhere, because the music industry does not consider software piracy
to be even nearly as bad as music piracy. Music piracy is considered so
bad that it feels like the entire society is going to crumble if people
are not stopped.

  The priorities are completely reversed. Illegal copying of things which
*do* matter, of things which people use to make actual money, is not
considered even nearly as bad as people copying something which is
irrelevant and doesn't affect anyone's life.

  So what if someone's song is copied? He can go and get a real job like
anyone else. What about those whose programs are being copied and used,
illegally, to make actual money? What about those who support the economy
and industry with their software? Who protects them? Who is going on a
witch-hunt against people who illegally copy their software?

--
                                                          - Warp