POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next evolution in P2P : Re: The next evolution in P2P Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:13:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The next evolution in P2P
From: Darren New
Date: 9 May 2009 11:54:59
Message: <4a05a753@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Oh, and get this: Even if you pay the tax in question, it will nevertheless
> *still* be illegal to download eg. episodes of a TV show from the internet

Well,that's rather awful.  I read a study somewhere that estimated if
everyone in the USA paid $5/month, it would cover all the costs of the music
industry. I.e., that it wouldn't be unreasonable at all to get rid of
copyright and pay for music with a universal tax.  (Whether that's good or
not is of course debatable.)  I also don't think it covered the movie
industry, which would seem to have a different economic model.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)