POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next evolution in P2P : Re: The next evolution in P2P Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The next evolution in P2P
From: Warp
Date: 9 May 2009 09:37:00
Message: <4a0586fc@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> If you do take the context it is clear that Darren is using Pirate Bay
> to signal that now persons can be held responsible for things on their
> server if they can know that it may be violating copyrights.

  I wonder how long it will take before copyright holders will stop chasing
individuals and instead lobby western governments to impose huge taxes on
internet connections which everybody must pay (regardless of whether they
download music illegally or not), the money going to the music industry.

  After they tax the internet, they will start taxing everything that can
contain data, such as, rather obviously, mp3 players, but less obviously
memory cards, usb sticks, cellphones, hard disks, CD-R(W)s, DVD-R(W)s, etc.

  After that they will start taxing everything that can *transfer* data,
even if it can't *store* it. This will include things like ADSL modems,
network cards, routers, usb hubs, wlan access points...

  After that they will be start taxing people for the sole reason that
they *might* listen to music illegally.

  Am I exaggerating here? I'm not. In Finland they are trying to pass a
law that will make every single household in Finland have to pay a "media
tax". Yes, this will include people who are deaf or blind (or both), and
people with no TV, internet or even computers. And this regardless of how
much money they earn. This has caused a huge amount of protest here.

--
                                                          - Warp