POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:27 EDT (-0400)
  Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension (Message 1 to 10 of 63)
From: Chris Cason
Subject: Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension
Date: 6 Mar 2009 00:06:52
Message: <49b0af6c@news.povray.org>
I found this article after searching on the subject of an extension that had
appeared in my Vista firefox install - one that I had not installed, nor been
asked permission to install. I checked my work PC (XP) and it, also, had the
extension. I'm surprised there's not more fireworks going off about this, as
it's precisely the sort of thing that makes IE so much of a trundling disaster
waiting for a place to happen.

Bonus: the extension installed by Microsoft has the 'uninstall' option disabled.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

I wondered where the heck that came from. Showed up a few weeks ago here.

This raises an interesting question - what if Mozilla were to issue a
security "update" that removed the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant from
Firefox? Considering that the software is installed without a user's
permission, I doubt MS would have any recourse.

Mike

"Chris Cason" <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote in
message news:49b0af6c@news.povray.org...
>I found this article after searching on the subject of an extension that
>had
> appeared in my Vista firefox install - one that I had not installed, nor
> been
> asked permission to install. I checked my work PC (XP) and it, also, had
> the
> extension. I'm surprised there's not more fireworks going off about this,
> as
> it's precisely the sort of thing that makes IE so much of a trundling
> disaster
> waiting for a place to happen.
>
>  http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-600
>
> Bonus: the extension installed by Microsoft has the 'uninstall' option
> disabled.
>
> -- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> I found this article after searching on the subject of an extension that
> had
> appeared in my Vista firefox install - one that I had not installed, nor
> been
> asked permission to install.

Would it not be in the EULA when you installed .net framework 3.5 SP1?

What is the extension meant to actually do?

Post a reply to this message

> This raises an interesting question - what if Mozilla were to issue a
> security "update" that removed the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant from
> Firefox? Considering that the software is installed without a user's
> permission, I doubt MS would have any recourse.

I expect that the Windows Update and WGA terms allow Microsoft to do more or
less whatever they like.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message