POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension : Re: Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension
From: scott
Date: 6 Mar 2009 10:33:07
Message: <49b14233@news.povray.org>
> On my machine, too.. What a PITA. Not only is it not removable by a simple
> button click, it's configured by default to install software w/o prompting
> the user.

Really, where do you change that?  On mine if I click a link to try and
install a ClickOnce app I first get the standard FF dialog box with
Save/Cancel but with an extra "Run ClickOnce app".  If I click the Run
button it then checks what version of .net I have (this is what the MS FF
extension is for) and then I get *another* security warning that asks me if
I'm sure I want to install the application.  Then it runs.

If I try the same without the MS FF extension installed, I just have to save
the file somewhere (there is no "Run ClickOnce app" button) then run it
(with a warning), then the ClickOnce app installs and runs.

TBH so long as the MS FF extension always asks you I think it makes things
easier to run from the web.  The fact that yours defaults to running without
any prompt though is a bit worrying.