POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension : Re: Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:15:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Mar 2009 12:22:57
Message: <49b15bf1$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:
>> What is the extension meant to actually do?
> It's designed to allow websites to more easily install software on your PC.

Basically, it does for native executables (at least .NET native executables)
what Java applets do - download the code if it's new, then launch it. It's
been around since early early .NET days.

Of course, if they didn't support it in Firefox, people would complain
they're excluding firefox.

And you're told it's getting installed. People just click past that, because
it's checked by default.  It's like complaining you didn't ask for Clippy.
Or maybe I'm one of the small number of people who actually read the list of
stuff I'm installing before I install it.  Maybe that's why my machine
doesn't get the "windows slowness rot" everyone else's seem to.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)