POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension : Re: Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:15:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension
From: Chris Cason
Date: 6 Mar 2009 02:52:03
Message: <49b0d623$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Would it not be in the EULA when you installed .net framework 3.5 SP1?

Where did I say that *I* installed .NET 3.5 SP1?

> What is the extension meant to actually do?

It's designed to allow websites to more easily install software on your PC.

>From MSDN at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc716877.aspx -

  "A XAML browser application (XBAP) is a deployment and application packaging
   technique whereby a WPF application can be deployed through a browser
   connection to a server, and then executed within the browser. When the user
   clicks the link that refers to the .xbap file, ClickOnce automatically
   handles the mechanics of downloading and launching the application. ClickOnce
   is a deployment technology for Windows-based applications that can update
   installations without uninstalling, and also facilitates self-contained
   application installations."

NB it's not unusual for software that requires .net to ship with the
redistributables, and to auto-install them if the target system has the older
version. Add that to the fact that Microsoft is pushing 3.5 SP1 through Windows
Update, sooner or later this will end up on a large percentage of PC's.