POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : kd-trees rule! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  kd-trees rule! (Message 1 to 10 of 32)
From: Severi Salminen
Subject: kd-trees rule!
Date: 12 Feb 2009 19:22:04
Message: <4994bd2c@news.povray.org>
I have implemented simple kd-tree support for my renderer ssRay and it
already rocks! See the image attached. Now I can finally use more
interesting models and render complex scenes without unbearable
performance hit.

Now the kd-tree is build with idiotic spatial median subdivision (ie.
simply divide each node in half). That is stupid and I'll implement a
surface area heuristic cost model next. That should improve performance
considerably. But still, all looks pretty good so far!

I love this path tracing stuff :D

ssRay homepage:

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~sevesalm/ssRay/ssRay.php

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'kuva28.jpg' (36 KB)

Preview of image 'kuva28.jpg'
kuva28.jpg

Severi Salminen <sev### [at] NOTTHISsaunalahtifiinvalid> wrote:
> I have implemented simple kd-tree support for my renderer ssRay and it
> already rocks! See the image attached. Now I can finally use more
> interesting models and render complex scenes without unbearable
> performance hit.

It's snakes on a *** plane!  I like it.  Really, it's no small feat to get this
far.  What's after kd-trees?

 - Ricky

Post a reply to this message