POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : kd-trees rule! : Re: kd-trees rule! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: kd-trees rule!
From: scott
Date: 13 Feb 2009 03:36:50
Message: <49953122$1@news.povray.org>
> There is also another very interesting acceleration structure called
> BIH: bounding interval hierarchy. It looks quite simple and still very
> efficient. I'll stick to ke-tree for now but will definitely try BIH at
> some point.

BTW there is an interesting document I came across a while back that
involved working on sets of rays rather than just individual rays, might be
an interesting read.

ftp://download.intel.com/technology/computing/applications/download/mlrta.pdf

> I still think that most POV users prefer the most realistic outcome of
> the renderings.

Agreed, after all we're using raytracers because we prefer quality over
speed, as computers get faster it's only natural that we look for higher
quality methods to use.

> Now I assign different pixel rows for each
> thread. That is actually a good approach. I don't need mutexes and the
> load is still quite well balanced in almost all scenes.

Oh yeh I was going to ask about anti-aliasing, do you get this for free too
with your algorithm - or do you need to specifically jitter each primary ray
somehow?

> Hardcoded at the present. At some point I have to implement a parser but
> that is not a fun thing to do and developing a good SDL takes time...

Yes of course, always the boring bit getting the UI working well, much more
fun to work on the actual algorithm!